Monday, August 27, 2012

SLOVAKIA - ORAVA CASTLE


Today I decided to create my own blog in a foreign language – English. The language is foreign for me, because I am from Slovakia. Yes you are right, Slovakia is in Central Europe and yes, it was a part of Czechoslovakia 20 years ago. I am a man who loves travelling and taking pictures during my trips. Unfortunately I have not enough free time to process my pictures in laptop to a nice dvd-project or something like that. So I decided to share my pictures this way, to create a blog. Some pictures are beautiful enough to stay without words; some will have my comments (sometimes serious, sometimes funny or ironical). During my 44 years long life I was in many places of the Europe, USA and little bit of Asia. I saw many interesting things which I do not want to keep only in my head. In my first article I would like to introduce you one of the most beautiful places in Slovakia – Orava Castle. Orava is a mountainous northern Slovakian region. The castle is in area of Oravsky Podzamok village and you cannot avoid it, because it is on the rock above the village. But now, just see it on my pictures, may be you will decide to visit the castle in the future, at least you will have some hints.
Location of Orava Castle 
This is the entrance to the castle

From the beginning everything is so high, almost in a blue sky. It seems to be unreachable.
When you come to the low bailey, the other parts of the castle are even higher and higher...

At the bailey you can find also column of shame, where bad people used to be chained up for some time.
One do not want to believe, that castle is still climbing up...
There are a lot of historical things (mainly furniture, pictures, medieval weapons, etc.) in the castle, for example these clothes for women.
Typical elements of this castle - stairways.
View of Oravský Podzámok village.
View of the lower bailey. It was used (together with other parts of the castle) by many filmmakers, specially for creating fairy-tale movies.
This altar is situated inside the castle´s chapel. It looks like from marble, but it is made from wood!
Manor-house in Horná Lehota village. It is next to the raft station. It is another way how to admire Orava Castle - from the river.
Rafter is telling stories to the tourists and they are listening very carefuly. There is a place for 12 tourist and 2 rafters on the raft.
Water is calm, weather is hot, everything is ok.
Another raft full of tourists.



So, what do you think about the castle? I can only recommend you to spend some time by visiting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment